Children and toddlers need plenty of stimulation and activity. Story time is a great way to get your kiddos out in a social situation, hear a story, sing songs and play. Some of our children’s story times around Las Vegas are coming back, and some are still being held virtually.
There are usually lots of options for children’s story times and activities in and around Las Vegas, right now, that’s just not the case. Spring is here and libraries and community centers are starting to open back up to the public, and some of our story times are back in action.
Las Vegas Clark County Library District
LVCCLD Event Calendars– Each library has different calendars and times for different ages. Here are the branches at the link to the current calendar pages: Centennial Hills, Clark County, Enterprise, Las Vegas, Meadows, Rainbow, Sahara West, Spring Valley, Summerlin, Sunrise, West Charleston, West Las Vegas, Whitney and Windmill Libraries.
Here are some examples of what is offered, each branch keeps their own schedule:
- Story time to go kit
- Summerlin Storywalk
- Five and Under Story time Express
- Story time to go!- all ages
- Family Story time- All ages welcome
Right now, it’s best to search the library branches closest to you. The Summerlin Library and Clark County Library is now offering Family Fun Story time in person, and Mesquite library has a Toddler Story time. Windmill Library offers a Tiny Tale with a Take and Make, & West Charleston Library has a Five and Under Storytime Express. You can head to the calendar here and search Story times for all LVCCLD times.
Some special programs offered at the various branches are as follows. Please note that space may be limited for school age programs and tickets may be required. Tickets are available at 3pm the day of the program. Be sure to check the link for up to date calendars:
- Relax with Art- for Teens and Tweens
- Thursday Breaktime Bags
- Saturday Movie Matinees
- Family Fridays
Henderson Libraries are now open, but with limited in person activities. They still have lots of virtual At Home activities, including story time for toddlers and babies and books. They also have Little Makers craft ideas and Yoga for Youngsters. Or, download their monthly calendar to find a reading or language activity for each day of the month. See the link for details.
Henderson Library now has Drive-In story time in the Gibson Library parking lot every 1st & 3rd Fridays and Saturdays each month starting at 9am. Registration is required, you can sign up by choosing the date on the calendar.
Henderson Library branches include Green Valley, Paseo Verde, Gibson, and Heritage Park (only ages 50+). Each branch has differing events and times that can be found at the link. Some events will require tickets. Some examples of events that are offered:
- Baby Storytime/Babies & Books- 0-18 months
- Rhythm & Rhyme- stories, singing and dancing- ages 0-5 years
- Pirate Bedtime Story- special storytime before bed, no age specified
- Paint with Me- enjoy a story and create your own masterpiece to take home. Ages 4-10
- Toddler Storytime- ages 1.5 to 3 years
- Storytime- general time for ages 0-5 years
- Preschool Storytime- for ages 3 years to 6 years
- Yoga for Youngsters- share stories and yoga poses, ages 0-5 years
- Family Storytime- designed for the entire family, kids ages 10 and under, enjoy books, music, crafts and play.
- Sensory Storytime- Designed for children with autism spectrum disorders, sensory integration issues, or other developmental challenges, ages 0-5 years.
Here are some examples of other events offered for children in the Henderson Libraries:
- STEAM Power- Using science, technology, engineering, art, and mathematics (STEAM) to do fun experiments and projects. Ages 8-12 years
- Make & Take Crafts- while supplies last for kids of all ages
- PokeClub- learning about and discussing Pokemon. All age children.
- Playdate at the Library- ages 0-5 and their parents or caregivers.
- Homework Help Club- Teen volunteers will be available to assist students in grades K-8 with school-issued homework assignments.
- LEGO Challenge- Each month kids will be given a theme and 30 minutes to build. Ages 5-11 years
- Pizza & Pages Book Club- Snack on pizza and soda pop while discussing a specific book. Ages 9-12 years.
- Kid Inventor’s Day- Learn about kids who have invented things and how you could become an inventor yourself! For kids ages 6-10.
- Picnic & a Movie- for children/family-Bring your picnic dinner and watch a pre-selected family movie on our big screen
Sunday Storytime at Clark County Wetlands Park
In-person activities at Wetlands Park are currently suspended. Park trails are open daily. See the link for more details.
Sundays- 11am-12pm- 7050 Wetlands Park Lane, Las Vegas, NV 89122
Join a librarian from Whitney Library for a nature-themed Storytime in the Nature Center Picnic Café (no food service). FREE. Walk-in, no advance registration required.
Children’s Storybook Adventures in Town Square Park are back in Spring 2021. Bring your littles out and join Princess Sunshine as she takes you on a new Storybook Adventure each week. This enchanting experience begins with a book and becomes a magical fun-filled journey through the world of imagination. Children’s story times will be held every Wednesday morning in the Park at Town Square at 10am, and will run through May 26th. Story times are FREE and open to everyone.
Barnes & Noble Bookstores– With three location across the Vegas valley, they offer free children’s story time’s as well as other special events. Each store hosts story time at 10am every Saturday. Right now, story time is virtual. They still have Saturday morning fun featuring a different picture book each week! Find us on our Facebook page or at YouTube.com/BarnesandNoble. Activity sheets available at BN.com/Storytime Check the calendar at the store nearest you for specific books and more details.
- Henderson- 567 North Stephanie, Henderson, NV 89014
- Summerlin- Crossroads Commons- 8915 W. Charleston Las Vegas, NV 89117
- Northwest- Rainbow Promenade-2191 N Rainbow Blvd., Las Vegas, NV 89108
Nevada Southern Railway– currently postponed. Storytime on the train the third Saturday of each month(excluding December)! Ticket prices are as follows: Adults (12 yrs and up) – $10.00, Child (4-11 yrs) – $5.00, Children (3 yrs and under) – Free. Departure Times: 10:00 am, 11:30 am, 1:00 pm, & 2:30 pm. (The train ride is approximately 35 min.)
We make every effort to make sure everything on Vegas Living on the Cheap is 100% accurate. Please bear with us as we navigate this new territory and strive to give you the most relevant information.
Be sure to bookmark this page and check back, as some venues will add storytimes and events in the upcoming months. Check here for more kid friendly activities in Las Vegas. Don’t forget to subscribe with your email to receive more of Vegas Living on the Cheap. For even more cheap fun, “like” us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter. Enjoy these other kid friendly and safe posts: