Children and toddlers need plenty of stimulation and activity. Story time is a great way to get your kiddos out in a social situation, hear a story, sing songs and play. Many of our children’s story times around the Las Vegas valley are back, so get the kids out for a story today.
Here are lots of options for children’s story times and activities in and around Las Vegas. Get rid of your winter blues and go listen to a great new story.
Las Vegas Clark County Library District
LVCCLD Event Calendars– Each library has different calendars and times for different ages. Here are the branches at the link to the current calendar pages: Centennial Hills, Clark County, Enterprise, Las Vegas, Meadows, Rainbow, Sahara West, Spring Valley, Summerlin, Sunrise, West Charleston, West Las Vegas, Whitney and Windmill Libraries.
Here are some examples of what is offered, each branch keeps their own schedule:
- Story time to go kit
- Summerlin Storywalk
- Five and Under Story time Express
- Story time to go!- all ages
- Family Story time- All ages welcome
Right now, it’s best to search the library branches closest to you. The Summerlin Library and Clark County Library is now offering Family Fun Story time in person, and Mesquite library has a Toddler Story time. Windmill Library offers a Tiny Tale with a Take and Make, & West Charleston Library has a Five and Under Storytime Express. You can head to the calendar here and search Story times for all LVCCLD times.
Some special programs offered at the various branches are as follows. Please note that space may be limited for school age programs and tickets may be required. Tickets are available at 3pm the day of the program. Be sure to check the link for up to date calendars:
- Relax with Art- for Teens and Tweens
- Thursday Breaktime Bags
- Saturday Movie Matinees
- Family Fridays
Henderson Libraries are open, and in person activities are back. They still have lots of virtual At Home activities, including story time for toddlers and babies and books. They also have Little Makers craft ideas and Yoga for Youngsters. Or, download their monthly calendar to find a reading or language activity for each day of the month. See the link for details.
Henderson Library branches include Green Valley, Paseo Verde, Gibson, and Heritage Park (only ages 50+). Each branch has differing events and times that can be found at the link. Some events will require tickets. Some examples of events that are offered:
- Baby Storytime/Babies & Books- 0-18 months
- Rhythm & Rhyme- stories, singing and dancing- ages 0-5 years
- Pirate Bedtime Story- special storytime before bed, no age specified
- Paint with Me- enjoy a story and create your own masterpiece to take home. Ages 4-10
- Toddler Storytime- ages 1.5 to 3 years
- Storytime- general time for ages 0-5 years
- Preschool Storytime- for ages 3 years to 6 years
- Yoga for Youngsters- share stories and yoga poses, ages 0-5 years
- Family Storytime- designed for the entire family, kids ages 10 and under, enjoy books, music, crafts and play.
- Sensory Storytime- Designed for children with autism spectrum disorders, sensory integration issues, or other developmental challenges, ages 0-5 years.
Here are some examples of other events offered for children in the Henderson Libraries:
- STEAM Power- Using science, technology, engineering, art, and mathematics (STEAM) to do fun experiments and projects. Ages 8-12 years
- Make & Take Crafts- while supplies last for kids of all ages
- PokeClub- learning about and discussing Pokemon. All age children.
- Playdate at the Library- ages 0-5 and their parents or caregivers.
- Homework Help Club- Teen volunteers will be available to assist students in grades K-8 with school-issued homework assignments.
- LEGO Challenge- Each month kids will be given a theme and 30 minutes to build. Ages 5-11 years
- Pizza & Pages Book Club- Snack on pizza and soda pop while discussing a specific book. Ages 9-12 years.
- Kid Inventor’s Day- Learn about kids who have invented things and how you could become an inventor yourself! For kids ages 6-10.
- Picnic & a Movie- for children/family-Bring your picnic dinner and watch a pre-selected family movie on our big screen
Sunday Storytime at Clark County Wetlands Park
Select Sundays and a few Wednesdays at 11am- 7050 Wetlands Park Lane, Las Vegas, NV 89122
Join a librarian from Whitney Library for a nature-themed Storytime in the Nature Center Picnic Café (no food service). FREE. Walk-in, no advance registration required. Also enjoy their Nature Tales, Nature themed story and craft with a Park naturalist, select Wednesdays from 11am-Noon. December 14th will be Racoons.
Children’s Storybook Adventures in Town Square Park are back. (Seasonal) Bring your littles out and join Princess Sunshine as she takes you on a new Storybook Adventure each week. This enchanting experience begins with a book and becomes a magical fun-filled journey through the world of imagination. Children’s story times will be held every Wednesday morning in the Park at Town Square at 11 am. Story times are FREE and open to everyone, see the link for dates as this event runs only through the Spring and Fall seasons.
Barnes & Noble Bookstores– With three location across the Vegas valley, they offer free children’s story times as well as other special events. Story times are currently happening in-store at the Henderson location on select Saturdays at 11AM and at the Northwest location on Saturdays at 2PM. Most of the story time events also include an activity and a snack. You can find all the times and which stories are being read at the link.
Come to Barnes & Noble in the Northwest on Saturday, December 17th at 6pm for a special pajama party storytime. Wear your favorite jammies and snack on sugar cookies and hot cocoa while listening to The Polar Express. Sugar cookies and cocoa will be provided.
- Henderson- 567 North Stephanie, Henderson
- Summerlin- Crossroads Commons- 8915 W. Charleston
- Northwest- Rainbow Promenade-2191 N Rainbow Blvd.
Nevada Southern Railway– Storytime on the train is back, the third Saturday of each month(excluding December)! The kids enjoy a coloring page, craft and an age-appropriate story read by one of our docents. Everyone rides the train from the depot to Railroad Pass and returns while enjoying the activities along with their parents and family. StoryTime is on each of the regular departures for the day. *Currently Story Time Trains run at 10am, 12pm, & 2pm.
Be sure to bookmark this page and check back, as some venues will add storytimes and events in the upcoming months. Check here for more kid friendly activities in Las Vegas. Don’t forget to subscribe with your email to receive more of Vegas Living on the Cheap. For even more cheap fun, “like” us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter. Enjoy these other kid friendly and safe posts: